Saturday, November 5, 2011

Days 18 - 21 : Nov 2 - 5

Okay, I'm back!

Eddy update first: We picked the little man up Friday afternoon! He's currently at home, eating, drinking, playing, barking, and being a little monster as normal. It's so nice to see him happy again. We still have to get him re-tested in a week to see if his numbers continue to drop which will determine whether it was really just an acute infection or potentially renal dysplasia. Judging by the way he is behaving, I think we have a healthy pup on our hands :D

On Wednesday, however, my mother's appendix decided to rupture. Sean and I met my brother and aunt at the hospital and waited for her emergency appendectomy to be over. My dad was in South Africa at the time, and couldn't do much else than book the next flight back home. Mom made it through the surgery like a champ.  The doctor predicted 7-10 days in the hospital (the fancy new Virtua), but it looks like she'll be going home Sunday night or Monday! There's a large risk of infection and she has a huge incision to heal, so she's going to be taking it easy for a while, but all will be okay!

Despite all the stress and unpredictable situations I went through this week, I made it through without cheating on the challenge! Let's take a look:

Day 18 : Wednesday Nov 2

Breakfast: Zucchini quiche and coffee. I was out of brussels and meat, so I stopped at Wawa on the way to work to get a little more breakfast. I left with and promptly ate a banana.

Lunch: I packed up some more zucchini quiche, the only food I had left. I got the call about my mom while I was in the car on my way home from a Whole Foods trip after work. I put away my groceries, let Bella out, and headed to the hospital. I happened to get a couple Lara Bars on said Whole Foods trip, so I grabbed some and ate a lemon flavored one on the way to the hospital.

Dinner: By the time mom was moved to recovery, it was about 10:00 PM. Sean, my brother, my aunt, and I were all starving, so we made the short trip down the street to Red Stone.  I thoroughly enjoyed a salad with eggs, rotisserie chicken, bacon, walnuts, and apples with balsamic vinaigrette on the side. In my dad's absence, I stayed over with mom at the hospital.

Day 19 : Thursday Nov 3

Breakfast: In my mom's hospital room I had a cherry Lara Bar. I suppose I could have ordered eggs from the cafeteria, but I figured I could wait until lunch time because..

Lunch: We went to go visit Eddy at UPenn. They suggest that you visit before 2 because that's around when they start a lot of tests and things. We ended up taking Francine's recommendation (thank you!!) and went to White Dog Cafe where I enjoyed a salad with chicken, bacon, tomatoes, eggs, and cucumbers with oil and vinegar. It was so hard leaving Eddy again, he actually started barking when we walked away. Very sad, but hearing him bark was a sign of him feeling better.

Dinner: We went back to the hospital to visit mom. I came home and still had dinner to eat and lesson plans to do. I needed to make my brussels and bacon ASAP before the green turned to brown, so even though I was ridiculously tired, I threw that recipe together and ate some alongside 3 scrambled eggs.

Day 20 : Friday Nov 4

Breakfast: Zucchini quiche, brussels and bacon, coffee.

Lunch: Crock pot meat (ran that crock pot overnight Thursday night) with brussels and bacon.

Dinner: After picking Eddy up, Sean and I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible.  We ordered delivery from Pats Pizza. Don't worry, I didn't get pizza. I enjoyed a salad with roasted red peppers, eggs, broccoli, and steak. Later that night I was still hungry so I ate (more) brussels and bacon.

Day 21 : Saturday Nov 5

Breakfast: Brussels and bacon with 3 scrambled eggs and coffee.

Lunch: Following the one of the toughest CrossFit workouts I've done yet, I enjoyed some crock pot meat and more brussels and bacon. And more coffee.

Dinner: Some of the challengers gathered at Alycia and Justin's house for a potluck and cooking demo. Thanks for the demo, Melissa, and thank you everyone for all the amazing food! I had a whole slew of real foods... ie lots of delicious meats and veggies. Plus some of Sharon's awesome homemade Lara Bar and some of my pumpkin pie.

Only 9 more days - starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel!!

No comments: