Thursday, August 4, 2011

Broadening My Paleo Horizons

CrossFit Monday 8/1
Strength:
Hang Power Snatch 3, 3, 3 (45lb barbell)
Conditioning:
4 Rounds (completed in 11:09)
5 Hang Power Snatches (35lb barbell)
10 Thrusters (35lb barbell)
15 Pull-Ups (Even with the black band, on my last set of 15 I was only busting out 2 pull-ups at a time! These slowed me down big time)

CrossFit Wednesday 8/3
Strength:
5 Rounds
Back Squat x 5 reps (65lb barbell - keeping it light while I work on my squats. I am amazed at how much better they have gotten. Every single time I go down, I have to concentrate hard on pushing my knees out and butt back, but my form and mobility are really starting to improve drastically.. yay :) )
Rest 30 seconds
Max reps Pull-Ups
Rest 2-3 minutes
Conditioning:
10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (completed in 7:46 using 1 pood)
Goblet Squats
KB Swings
Push-ups

Okay, I have some potentially shocking news for you all. In an effort to add variety and more healthy fats to my diet, I have officially started eating (grass-fed) red meat! Yes, it's really me, Kate Eckert, non-red meat eater for about 13 years.

My first meat recipe was for Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles.
To elaborate on my editing in red:
  • I thought beef AND sausage would be a little overkill, so I just used the beef. As you could imagine, 2lbs of beef is a lot of meat, so I now have leftovers for days! It's been good mixed in with some eggs for breakfast.
  • I only used 1T of each of the seasonings, that seemed to be enough. 
  • Omitted the olives because I don't really like them.
  • 5 zucchinis was plenty.. I even have a quart size bag of leftover sliced zucchini.
My only complaint is that it definitely did not resemble lasagna. It was more-so just a pan of meat, tomatoes, and zucchini.  I had a bit of trouble cutting the zucchini into the thin, noodle-like strips, so maybe if my zucchini weren't so thick it would have held together a bit more. Nonetheless, it was extremely tasty and I've been enjoying the leftovers!

In addition to cutting out the sugars and upping my good fats, I've also started eating a lot more leafy greens. A month ago (hell, even a week ago) I would have never guessed that my new favorite snack would be brussels sprouts and bacon! Thanks to Alycia and Justin's recipe, I'm enjoying my fats and greens. Brussels sprouts are delicious, filling, and easy to keep/snack on as leftovers. Give them a try, you won't regret it!
simmering away
with the crunchy, bacon-y goodness!
I also tried making some kale chips (rinse the kale, chop length-wise cutting out the middle stem, toss in olive oil, bake at 350 for 12 minutes, salt if desired). These were okay, I definitely do not get the hoopla people on the interweb seem to be making about them. I'll try another method of cooking kale next time.

In other news: 
Sean and I are this close to having our offer accepted on a house we're in love with that's 8 minutes away from CrossFit, right across the street from Whole Foods, and has a super nice kitchen for me to cook in ... it does not get much more perfect than that :) We're both very excited that we will, in all probability, soon be homeowners!

Finally, Eddy wanted you to know that he helped with this post: 
My little boy is getting big - he will be 10 weeks old on Sunday!


4 comments:

Jamie said...

I was a vegetarian for about 30 years. Then I started CrossFit Aspire and read Robb Wolf's The Paeleo Solution and Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat. :D After all that eating grass-fed beef just made sense. Wegman's has grass-fed rib-eyes that are great on the grill. Keep up the good work!
Jamie

Lauren said...

This is the kale recipe I LOVE (just go easy on the salt). http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/surprises-shockers-and-swaps-baked-kale-recipe

Alli said...

I love Kale Chips! I don't cut mine though... I just throw the whole leaf on, stem and all. Even Matthew liked them! That lasagna also looks fabulous. I bought cauliflower and plan on making the rice at some point with it. Lastly- that is exciting news about a house!

Kelly said...

Hmmm...I still don't like Kale chips. Perhaps I didn't make them right...