Sunday, January 1, 2012

So This is the New Year.

I shall fill you in on my winter break accomplishments via organized list (really, how else would I do it?):

  • Ran every errand ever with intentions of not having to buy anything but food in the near future. Many thanks to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Target, Pet Valu, and BJs. Many apologies to my bank account.
Eddy, affectionately known as Eddy-poopster, got the cutest haircut ever. Little does the poor guy know that we're making arrangements to get him neutered soon muahah
 
Guest bedrooms now with actual bed sets... visitors welcome!
  • Cleaned the house from top to bottom. Really, it doesn't get better than that. 
  • Fully utilized my Christmas gifts.  Among other things, I was lucky enough to get a docking station for my iPhone (I am now able to jam out to Jack's Mannequin and Fun while I'm cooking... did I mention Sean and I will be attending both of their concerts this year?), a new set of spices, and an iPad! I immediately downloaded the iBook versions of Everyday Paleo and Paleo Comfort Foods and got cooking.  Which leads me to...
  • Cooked many new recipes!  
Recipe #1: Coconut Macadamia Bark from my pal Mark. I added freeze dried blueberries and swirled in dark chocolate. Cannot describe how delicious this was.
Recipe #2: Apple and Apricot Pork Chops from Paleo Comfort Foods. In making this recipe, I accomplished many cooking firsts...



First time pre-measuring and preparing all ingredients. I found out that this is pretty much essential to ensure that the execution of more complicated recipes flows smoothly. 
First time cooking pork chops. Ever.
First time buying fresh herbs and using my new chef's knife skills to chop them. It made me feel inspired to grow my own herbs... one day.
Recipe #3: Pumpkin Pancakes using this recipe. Nom.  Not something to eat all the time, but it was perfect for satisfying a S.A.D. craving.
Recipe #4: "Breaded" Baked Chicken from Everyday Paleo. Also good for satisfying the once-in-a-while craving.
  •  Made a recipe that Sean enjoyed and willingly ate. Yes, this is also a first. 
Recipe #5: Everyday Meatloaf from Everyday Paleo. This. was. awesome. and so very quick and easy to prepare!
  • Went a full day with no coffee.  Coming from the 2-3 cups/day drinker, this is truly impressive. Coincidentally, it was the same day that I cleaned the whole house. My theory is that I was too focused on the cleaning to break for coffee.  I am able to accomplish such feats while I am well-rested and stress-free, but I know that once I go back to work coffee will once again be a necessity. Sad.
  • Got myself into a brand new 30-day challenge starting today.  Yes, along with the rest of the world, but ours is different and better... much like everything else us CrossFitters do. This time around it's really not so much a challenge but confirmation of a commitment to myself to remain Paleo for 2012. My plan is to have a super strict 30 days, with minimal fruit and nuts, to kick off the year. If you noticed, all but one of my recipes included said fruit and nuts. I know cutting them out (again) is something I need to do.
Check out this article from Sarah about getting "unstuck" this year. I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday and is ready for all of the excitement that 2012 will bring!

1 comment: